Friday, June 1, 2007

Bookplate

This is entirely random, but I got such a kick out of finding this today that I had to tell more people than just the two I knew would appreciate it. I'll keep it brief:

I've been working in my university's library this week, pulling old books off the shelves so that their bibliographic info can be updated. Pretty exciting, I know. It's not the most stimulating work I've ever had, but that IS the point. Anyway, I opened up some old book on D.C. and saw a bookplate in the front, dated in the 1930s, that said:

This book was stolen. It was recovered, and the thief was sentenced to two years hard labor.

Zowie! If they won't come after ME, I'm stealing that idea for my own books!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty rough treatment for a book. But, then again...
Hey, you GOTTA tell Carole of Carole Knits. She's a librarian and would LOVE that story. She's twisted that way.

Joan said...

That book plate is hysterical! My first job at age 14 was shelving books in our library.

Carole Knits said...

I'm twisted in a lot of other ways, too. Great story!